Supervisor: Education/Employment Coordinator
Salary Range: $32,000 - $34,000 DOE
Job Classification: Full-time, Regular, Exempt
Job Hours: 40 hours per week, evenings and weekends may be required
Job Location: Portland, OR
New Avenues is seeking a teacher for its unique engagement based alternative education program focused on serving homeless and at-risk youth. Taking a constructivist educational approach, the teaching staff work to provide a safe and structured environment where students learn self-worth and independence. Teachers are responsible for helping youth develop education goals and facilitating the steps to reach them. This could include tutoring a student to obtain their GED or high school diploma, assisting with college preparation and enrollment, facilitating hands on learning projects, career planning and teaching independent living skills. The alternative education program is part of New Avenues continuum of services for homeless and at-risk youth and operates year round.
• Experience with high-risk youth
• Teaching experience
• Active teaching license
• Ability to drive company vehicles in order to transport youth to activities
• Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
TITLE: On-Call Counselor
LOCATION: SW Portland
SUPERVISOR: Coordinator, Drop-In and Transitional Housing
SALARY RANGE: $10.50/hour
HOURS: Varied – shifts available 24 hours per day, seven days per week
Engage youth through the Positive Youth Development model providing guidance, support, and information in a multicultural environment for homeless and at-risk youth. Supervise a milieu setting, maintaining a safe and supportive environment while motivating youth to explore alternatives to street life.
Bachelor’s degree and/or experience working with high-risk youth. Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Food and Support Specialist
TITLE: Food and Support Specialist
LOCATION: SW Portland, OR
SUPERVISOR: Engagement Coordinator
SALARY RANGE: $12.50/hour
HOURS: 40 hours per week, some evenings and weekends required
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Regular, Non-Exempt
New Avenues for Youth, one of Portland’s leading providers of innovative programs to homeless and at-risk youth, is seeking a Food and Support Specialist to coordinate food ordering, food preparation/serving and cleaning and facility needs for our Youth Day Services program that provides a drop in center for homeless and at risk youth. Ideal candidate will have good culinary skills, interest in designing and implementing a nutritional meal program and interested and comfortable working with homeless and at risk youth. Support a team of Drop-In Counselors to provide a safe and supportive environment.
• Design and implement nutritional meals for Day Services program
• Coordinate food and supply ordering, deliveries of the food supplies, food preparation, serving, soliciting donations, and cleaning/facility needs
• Maintain a safe and supportive multicultural environment for homeless youth
• Others as assigned
• Experience in food industry required
• Experience managing food services preferred
• Food Handler Certificate required
• Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth required.