Title: Teacher/Skills Trainer
Supervisor: Education/Employment Coordinator
Salary Range: $32,000 - $36,000 DOE
Job Classification: Full-time, Regular, Exempt
Job Hours: 40 hours per week, evenings and weekends may be required
Job Location: Portland, OR
New Avenues is seeking a teacher/skills trainer for its unique engagement based employment and alternative education program focused on serving homeless and at-risk youth ages 16-24. Teachers/skills trainers are responsible for helping youth develop education and employment goals and facilitating the steps to reach them. This could include tutoring a student to obtain their GED or high school diploma, assisting with college preparation and enrollment, facilitating hands on learning projects, career planning and developing and implementing workforce and life skills training curriculum. Provide career, education and life skills awareness through the use of group workshops, classroom discussion, field trips, job shadowing, project-based learning opportunities, business tours and volunteer opportunities. The employment and alternative education program are part of New Avenues continuum of services for homeless and at-risk youth and operates year round.
• Experience with high-risk youth
• Teaching experience
• Ability to drive company vehicles in order to transport youth to activities
• Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth
• Active teaching license and Masters degree preferred
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
TITLE: On-Call Counselor
LOCATION: SW Portland
SUPERVISOR: Coordinator, Drop-In and Transitional Housing
SALARY RANGE: $10.50/hour
HOURS: Varied – shifts available 24 hours per day, seven days per week
Engage youth through the Positive Youth Development model providing guidance, support, and information in a multicultural environment for homeless and at-risk youth. Supervise a milieu setting, maintaining a safe and supportive environment while motivating youth to explore alternatives to street life.
Bachelor’s degree and/or experience working with high-risk youth. Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
New Avenues for Youth is hiring for a Peer Mentor. The primary role of a Peer Mentor is to provide support and serve as a role model with a diverse population of homeless youth, ages 16-25, as part of a project providing alcohol and drug and co-occurring recovery-oriented care.
• Assist in facilitating pro-social clean and sober recreational activities
• Assist youth in obtaining resources and referrals to drug and alcohol or mental health services
• Assist youth in following through with appointments and/or services
• Assist youth in navigating through the mental health and drug and alcohol programs and services
• Ability to maintain appropriate professional boundaries in working with youth
• Ability to work to maintain self-care and develop an individualized peer recovery plan to address the various way that that they relate as a peer
• GED or other high school equivalent
• Knowledge or experience of the lifestyles and culture of homeless youth
• Knowledge or experience of issues related to mental health or substance use
• Self-identification as a peer to those living with and recovering from a mental illness and/or substance use
• 1 year clean and sober time • Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
• If the applicant was a participant in the Homeless Youth Continuum they must be 2 years exited from services
Please send resumes to the attention of Amy R. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org New A.venues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PAVE Program Lead
Title: PAVE Program Lead
Job Classification: Full Time
Job Hours: 40 hours per week, evenings may be required
Do you want to make a difference in a young person’s life? New Avenues is looking for a PAVE Program Lead. The PAVE Program Lead (PL) will work to support homeless and at-risk youth ages 16-24 to develop and follow through on career, employment, and educational goals. The PL will work with the Employment and Education Program Coordinator to provide supervision and coordination of job training staff and services. In addition the PL will provide workforce case management to a case load of youth. The PL will oversee tracking and documentation of youth participation in a wide range of activities, compile reports on youth progress and oversee the program budgets.
• Work with Program Coordinator to manage PAVE, New Avenues job training program.
• Assist Program Coordinator around ensuring services are most effective for youth including outreach and program development.
• Take lead on outcome tracking and work with the Program Coordinator and job training team to implement strategies to successfully meet contract outcomes.
• Complete WIA quarterly reports.
• Provide educational and vocational assessments to determine youth’s current skills and areas of growth.
• Develop an individualized youth service plan with youth’s input that is guided by the assessment results.
• Provide support and guidance to help youth expand work readiness skills, post-secondary readiness, and accomplish identified goals.
• Facilitate individual and group opportunities for youth to further develop skills.
• Develop and implement job readiness training curriculum.
• Maintain accurate and timely documentation of all services.
Bachelor’s degree in education, social work, psychology or related field and experience working with high-risk youth required. 2 years Vocational/educational experience and lead or supervisory experience preferred. Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.