TITLE: On-Call Counselor
LOCATION: SW Portland
SUPERVISOR: Coordinator, Drop-In and Transitional Housing
SALARY RANGE: $10.50/hour
HOURS: Varied – shifts available 24 hours per day, seven days per week
Engage youth through the Positive Youth Development model providing guidance, support, and information in a multicultural environment for homeless and at-risk youth. Supervise a milieu setting, maintaining a safe and supportive environment while motivating youth to explore alternatives to street life.
Bachelor’s degree and/or experience working with high-risk youth. Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
New Avenues for Youth is hiring for a Peer Mentor. The primary role of a Peer Mentor is to provide support and serve as a role model with a diverse population of homeless youth, ages 16-25, as part of a project providing alcohol and drug and co-occurring recovery-oriented care.
• Assist in facilitating pro-social clean and sober recreational activities
• Assist youth in obtaining resources and referrals to drug and alcohol or mental health services
• Assist youth in following through with appointments and/or services
• Assist youth in navigating through the mental health and drug and alcohol programs and services
• Ability to maintain appropriate professional boundaries in working with youth
• Ability to work to maintain self-care and develop an individualized peer recovery plan to address the various way that that they relate as a peer
• GED or other high school equivalent
• Knowledge or experience of the lifestyles and culture of homeless youth
• Knowledge or experience of issues related to mental health or substance use
• Self-identification as a peer to those living with and recovering from a mental illness and/or substance use
• 1 year clean and sober time • Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
• If the applicant was a participant in the Homeless Youth Continuum they must be 2 years exited from services
Please send resumes to the attention of Amy R. You can learn more about New Avenues by visiting our website at http://www.newavenues.org New A.venues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Assertive Engagement Specialist/Case Manager
Title: Assertive Engagement Specialist/Case Manager
Supervisor: Engagement Coordinator
Salary Range: $32,500 – $35,000 DOE
Job Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Job Hours: 40 hours per week, evenings and weekends required
Job Location: Portland, OR
Provide engagement and case management services with an interdisciplinary, multi-agency team to high-risk, homeless youth ages 16-24 in a site-based, transitional housing program. Responsibilities include intake and assessment; individual and group counseling; crisis intervention; case planning; resource brokerage and referral; case coordination and advocacy; follow-up and after care.
Masters degree in counseling, psychology or social work and understanding of the issues of substance abuse, mental health, trauma, abuse and adolescent development including brain development required. Experience, ability and commitment to working with sexual minority and culturally diverse staff, participants and community. Valid driver’s license and ability to drive is required.
ILP Life Skills Coach
Title: ILP Life Skills Coach
Supervisor: PDX-Connect Program Supervisor
Job Classification: Full-Time, Regular (40 hours/week – occasional evenings and weekend required)
Salary Range: $28,000 - $32,000 per year DOE
Job Location: Portland, OR
PDX-Connects Independent Living Program is designed as a community based intervention serving youth in Multnomah County. ILP Life Coaches provide case management, skill development, resource brokerage and referral, case coordination and advocacy services to former and current youth in care ages 16-21. The medium for this work may occur through the use of individual appointments, group workshops, classroom discussions, field trips, job shadowing, project-based learning opportunities, and community resource tours
• Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Social Work or related field preferred.
• At least 2 years’ experience working with youth who face multiple barriers
• 2 years vocational, educational or life skills training and experience preferred
• Use of personal vehicle for transporting self and clients for work purposes.
• Ability to work with multicultural staff and youth.